Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Story Behind the Story

So it's been a couple weeks since Shadows of Fate released, and I am still pinching myself at all the kind words and support I've received.  

Not many people know, but Shadows holds a very special place in my heart. Writing Shadows helped me struggle through a difficult time in my life. My son was born with a laundry list of health conditions.  For weeks after his birth, we sat by his bedside, terrified and exhausted, not knowing what was wrong with our child, or what the future would hold.  All we could do is watch, wait, and pray.  

It was during those long hours at the hospital that I decided to start writing to help myself cope with my stress and kill time during those endless nights.  While my son slept, I would do my best to lose myself in my story for a few stolen moments.  I continued writing through the scary adventure of bringing our son home and having to learn how to place a feeding tube and care for him on our own, through sleepless night after sleepless night. And writing became pure escapism for me.  It allowed me to breath freely for a short period during the day.  As you've probably guessed, the result was Shadows

It took me a while to let go of Shadows and submit it to a publisher. I was scared because it was so different from anything I had written before. But I loved it, so I did. And the rest is history.  In a few months, my son will be two.  He's strong, capable, and the love of my life.  And Shadows is now out in the world, growing wings.

Later this year, Samhain Publishing will be releasing the second installment in the Shadow Born Series, Fading Light.  I am so excited to be able to share this series with you because it is so very special to me, I hope it will be to you as well. 

Best,
Angela Dennis





2 comments:

Sarah L said...

So very happy to hear that your son is doing well and also very happy that Shadows is out in the world with us. I very much look forward to book 2.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, Sarah!